A car accident lawyer can help you secure the compensation you need to access help and resources after the accident.
Over the last few years, Texas has grappled with the unfortunate daily reality of severe and sometimes deadly car accidents. A car accident can leave you with minor to life-threatening injuries, including the death of loved ones. In addition, the trauma of the accident can have long-term debilitating effects on you and your family, and affect your well-being, relationships, and quality of life.
If you were recently injured in a car crash caused wholly or partly due to someone else, remember that you have legal options. You deserve to be compensated for your trauma as well as your financial burdens, such as medical bills, loss of income, or permanent loss of livelihood. At DFW Injury Lawyers, our Texas car accident attorneys can assist by providing knowledgeable guidance on your rights and legal options. We will fight tooth and nail to secure you the justice and compensation you deserve to move forward with your life.
How Common Are Car Accidents in Texas?
Unfortunately, car accidents are quite common in Texas, making it one of the most notorious states in the country for reported roadway collisions. More people die in Texas due to car accidents than in most other states, for reasons ranging from speeding, unsafe lane changes, and driver inattention.
In 2019, the death toll from motor vehicle fatalities was 3623. That same year, there were 12,907 crashes that caused serious injuries and 15,855 people were seriously injured. 914 people killed in 2019 were due to drivers driving under the influence. In 2020, the death toll increased to 3,896, and in 2021, it soared to 4,489.
I Was In a Car Accident. What Should I Do?
If you were just in a car accident, dial 911 immediately. Under Texas law, you must stop your car after an accident, check if anyone needs help, and report the accident to the local police.
Here are some of the steps to take after a car accident in Texas:
- Ensure everyone’s safety: The first thing you should do is look for injuries on yourself and any passengers present. If anyone is injured, call for an ambulance immediately. Some injuries are not immediately noticeable due to the adrenaline rush, so it is recommended you still seek medical assistance even if you don’t think you are seriously hurt, particularly if you hit your head.
- Pull over to a safer area: If possible, move your vehicle to the side of the road to prevent any further accidents or traffic congestion. Keep your hazard lights on and call for help, if needed.
- Contact law enforcement: You need to inform the local police department about the car accident. If you dialed 911, the responding officer will likely file a Texas Crash Report with key information such as the drivers involved and insurance policy details. Local police will also investigate the scene of the accident so they may determine who may have been at fault and to what degree.
- Exchange relevant information: While waiting for the police, all involved parties should exchange information about their insurance coverage.
- Gather evidence: Take pictures of the accident site, road conditions, traffic signs, visible injuries, other party’s license plates, and contact information of witnesses present at the time of the accident. Photographic evidence like this helps ensure all claims are filed correctly and can prove to be critical if disputes over the facts arise later on.
- Contact a Texas car accident attorney: A car accident lawyer will be able to conduct a thorough investigation of the accident, and collect all relevant evidence, such as police reports, photographs, surveillance footage, and other credible information that is admissible in court.
It is crucial to acknowledge that you have been through a traumatic experience, and deserve all the help and support you can get from loved ones, therapists, and other professionals. Our qualified and experienced attorneys are here to help you recover the costs of your injury and loss, and secure justice for you.
The legal muscle you need to win
What Not to Do After a Car Accident in Texas
While there are many steps you should take after a Texas car accident, be mindful that certain actions may hurt your chance of securing a fair recovery from a potential car accident lawsuit. Here are some of the things you should not do after a car accident:
- Do not apologize or accept blame: There may have been several factors that caused the car accident and it may be too soon to determine the true cause. While you may be upset or stirred up after the accident, you must remain calm. Never accept blame immediately after a crash, as you may not be aware of all of the factors that contributed to the accident.
- Do not post on social media: A social media posting, particularly in the immediate aftermath of an accident, can negatively impact your life and your chances of securing any compensation for your injuries. Avoid posting about the crash, your injuries, or even sharing pictures of social events until your case is resolved.
- Do not talk to another party or insurance adjuster without attorney representation: Remember that only your personal injury attorney will be completely on your side and represent your best interests. An insurance adjuster and the at-fault party are not looking out for you. This is why it is imperative you let your Texas car crash lawyer handle all communication on your behalf and refrain from speaking to anyone who may be a potential opposing party in a car accident lawsuit.
When Should I Contact a Texas Car Accident Lawyer?
The best time to contact a Texas car accident attorney is right after you have sought medical help for your immediate injuries. However, a qualified attorney should be able to help you at any stage as long as it is within the statute of limitations.
Remember, the main job of a car accident lawyer is to establish liability so those who injured you may provide you the compensation you need to access helpful resources. A skilled lawyer should be able to analyze the facts of your situation, build a strong case based on the evidence available, and collaborate with other experts and witnesses to increase your chances of securing a favorable settlement or verdict. They should also be able to assess the total possible compensation and work to ensure you are properly reimbursed for your losses, including for your pain and suffering. A skillful car accident lawyer will also negotiate with other parties to ensure your rights are protected throughout the process, and if needed, fight for justice in trial.
A local car accident lawyer should have a deep understanding of relevant Texas personal injury laws, as well as understand how the system works. After a car accident, you would want an attorney who focuses his practice area on personal injury law and knows how to navigate the justice system in your area so they may protect your interests. Our car accident lawyers at DFW Injury Lawyers have handled hundreds of personal injury cases and know the ins and outs of the justice system. We have trial experience, aggressive tactics, and the mindset needed to fight for a just outcome for our clients who are in the midst of some of the worst days of their lives.
Bring the Muscle of DFW Injury Lawyers to Your Case
After a car accident, the last thing you need to worry about is your Texas car accident injury lawsuit. Our personal injury lawyers understand how challenging it is to deal with the aftermath of a car accident, and are here to provide you all the help you need while you work on your recovery. All our consultations are 100% free and we do not take any fee from you unless we secure you a win. Contact us today for a confidential legal consultation.