- Slip and fall accidents are a common cause of injuries in Dallas and throughout the US.
- Those injured in slip and fall accidents have the right to pursue compensation for their injuries.
- A skilled slip and fall lawyer in Dallas can help victims recover compensation and hold negligent property owners accountable.
When you enter a business, a public space, or someone’s property, you do so with the assumption that you are safe from harm. Unfortunately, this is not always the case. You may slip on a wet floor, trip over an item left in the middle of the aisle, or fall because of poor property maintenance. If you suffer injuries in one of these situations, a premises liability claim may help you recoup your costs.
DFW Injury Lawyers understand that slip and fall accidents cause serious injuries and negatively affect your day-to-day life. Our Dallas slip and fall lawyers help injured victims recover the compensation they deserve for their injuries and related losses. Contact us today for a free legal consultation with one of our dedicated Dallas attorneys.
What is a Slip and Fall Accident?
A slip and fall accident occurs when an individual slips or trips and falls because of a hazardous condition. These accidents happen on various surfaces, including indoor and outdoor areas, and result from wet or slippery floors, uneven or poorly maintained surfaces, poorly lit areas, obstacles obstructing walkways, and more.
Slip and fall accidents are unfortunately quite common in the United States. According to the National Safety Council, falls were the top preventable non-fatal injury in 2020, with more than 6.8 million Americans treated in the ER for a fall injury, ranging from sprains and fractures to head trauma and spinal cord damage.
6.8 million Americans were treated in the ER for a fall injury in 2020.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
Anyone may sustain injuries in a slip and fall accident, at any time, and in any place. Understanding the common causes of slip and fall accidents helps you stay aware of potential hazards and prevent accidents from happening.
Frequent causes of slip and falls include:
- Wet or slippery surfaces: Between freshly mopped floors, uncleaned spills, and icy conditions, wet or slippery surfaces are a leading cause of slip and fall accidents.
- Uneven or broken flooring: Irregular or damaged flooring, like cracked sidewalks, loose floor tiles, or potholes, often cause trips and falls.
- Poor lighting: Insufficient lighting makes identifying hazards more difficult and increases the risk of slip and fall accidents. This is especially true in stairwells, parking lots, and other dimly lit areas.
- Lack of handrails: Staircases and ramps without handrails pose a significant risk for slip and fall accidents, particularly for those with limited mobility or balance issues. Handrails provide stability and support, and their absence can result in severe injuries.
- Cluttered walkways: Objects or debris left in walkways, such as cords, debris, or misplaced furniture, may obstruct individuals’ paths and result in tripping hazards.
- Loose or torn carpeting: Loose or torn carpeting can create tripping hazards, especially improperly secured or maintained carpeting.
- Defective stairs or steps: Stairs that are poorly designed, in disrepair, or lack proper maintenance may cause serious slip and fall accidents.
- Inadequate warning signs: Lack of proper warning signs in areas with known hazards, such as wet floors or construction zones, may play a role in many slip and fall accidents.
- Negligent maintenance: Property owners must inspect and maintain their premises. Neglecting spills or wet floors, cracks in sidewalks, uneven flooring, or any other hazards may contribute to a slip and fall accident.
Common Slip and Fall Locations
Slips, trips, and falls can happen anywhere, but some common locations of fall accidents include grocery stores, restaurants, shopping malls, parking lots, sidewalks, and public buildings. These accidents also occur in private residences, such as someone’s home or a rental property. Other cases may occur at work.
Slip and Fall Accident: Types of Injuries
Slip and fall injuries range from minor bruises to severe fractures and head trauma. Some of the most common injuries seen in these accidents include:
- Sprains and strains: Sprains, strains, and tears in muscles, ligaments, and tendons commonly occur in slip and fall accidents and may result in pain, swelling, and limited range of motion.
- Fractures: Among the most frequent injuries in slip and fall accidents are bone fractures, particularly fractures in the wrist, arm, ankle, or hip. Fractures vary in severity, from hairline fractures to compound fractures that require surgery.
- Head injuries: If someone slips and falls and hits their head, they may suffer a concussion, traumatic brain injury (TBI), or skull fractures. These injuries can have long-lasting effects on cognitive function and overall quality of life.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: Falls may cause back and spinal cord injuries like herniated discs, spinal fractures, or even paralysis. These injuries may require extensive medical treatment and rehabilitation.
- Cuts and lacerations: Falling on a hard surface may result in cuts and lacerations, sometimes serious enough for stitches or surgery, which could cause permanent scarring.
How Can a Dallas Slip and Fall Lawyer Help Me?
After a slip and fall accident in Dallas, a slip and fall lawyer can provide invaluable assistance in navigating the legal process and fighting for the compensation you deserve.
Insurance companies often take advantage of people who are injured as a result of someone else’s negligence. These companies might downplay injuries, delay or deny claims, or offer low settlement offers that do not adequately cover the medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering caused by the accident.
A Dallas slip and fall lawyer protects your rights and fights fiercely for the compensation you may deserve. By hiring a lawyer, you can focus on your physical recovery while they handle the legal aspects of your case by:
- Gathering evidence: A slip and fall lawyer thoroughly investigates these accidents and collects crucial evidence such as surveillance footage, witness statements, and maintenance records. This evidence may help prove liability and strengthen your case.
- Calculating damages: A lawyer helps assess the full extent of the damages caused, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering.
- Demanding a full and fair amount: Slip and fall accident lawyers negotiate with the liable property owner or their insurance company. Your lawyer should demand a full and fair amount that reflects the true value of your injuries and losses.
- Trial representation: If the slip and fall settlement agreements fail and the other side refuses to pay you fairly, a lawyer can acts as your advocate in the courtroom. They will present your case persuasively, cross-examine witnesses, and argue for maximum compensation.
- Keeping you informed: A qualified slip and fall attorney keeps you informed throughout the entire process, explaining your options and guiding you through each step of your case.
- Representing you on a contingency fee basis: Many slip and fall lawyers work on a contingency fee basis, meaning we only get paid if we successfully recover compensation for you. This ensures anyone can access quality legal representation, regardless of their financial situation.
The legal muscle you need to win
How Much Time Do You Have To File a Slip and Fall Lawsuit?
Act fast if you were injured in a slip and fall accident in Dallas. The statute of limitations for personal injury cases in Texas is typically two years, so you usually have two years from the date of the accident to file a slip and fall lawsuit. But certain circumstances can affect your deadline to file, so it’s important to work with a qualified lawyer who ensures all necessary deadlines are met.
How Do I Prove a Slip and Fall Injury in Dallas?
Proving a slip and fall injury in Dallas requires gathering strong evidence that supports your claim. As the plaintiff, you must show that the property owners or managers failed in their duty of care to keep their premises safe. This requires providing evidence demonstrating negligence.
Physical evidence is crucial for proving your case. Take pictures and videos of your injuries as soon as possible after the accident. These visual records provide valuable proof of the extent of your injuries and the conditions that caused the slip and fall.
Witness testimony could also play a vital role in slip and fall injury cases. If any witnesses were present at the time of the accident, their accounts may support your claim and strengthen your case.
Document the accident scene: Take photographs and videos of the area from multiple angles, capturing any hazards or unsafe conditions that caused your slip and fall. This evidence helps establish the negligence of the property owners and further enforces your claim.
Proving a slip and fall injury in Dallas requires thorough documentation and evidence. Consult an experienced lawyer to guide you through the process and help you gather the necessary proof for your injury claim. In all cases, the stronger your evidence, the better your chances of recovering the slip and fall compensation you deserve.
Recovering Damages in a Slip and Fall Accident
Those injured in slip and fall incidents can pursue compensation and recoup costs incurred because of their injuries.
Potential slip and fall damages available include:
- Medical expenses: This includes both past and future medical expenses relating to your injuries. It covers costs for hospital visits, doctor’s appointments, surgeries, medication, physical therapy, and any other necessary medical treatments.
- Lost income: If your slip and fall accident resulted in time away from work, you can pursue compensation for lost wages.
- Loss of earning capacity: In some cases, a slip and fall accident may cause long-term or permanent injuries that affect your ability to earn a living. If you can no longer perform your job or if your earning potential is significantly diminished, you may claim compensation for loss of earning capacity.
- Loss of consortium: If your slip and fall accident negatively impacted your relationship with your spouse or partner, you may seek damages for loss of consortium, including the loss of companionship, affection, and intimacy.
- Pain and suffering: Slip and fall accidents often cause physical pain and suffering. Compensation for pain and suffering may help address the physical and emotional toll the accident took on your life.
- Emotional distress: Slip and fall accidents can also cause significant emotional distress, including anxiety, depression, and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). Victims may recover damages for these emotional injuries as well.
Can I Be Responsible for Contributory Negligence in a Dallas Slip and Fall Case?
In some situations, both the injured person and the party in question may share blame for a slip and fall accident. For example, if a property owner does not properly maintain their premises but the visitor was distracted and not paying attention to their surroundings, both parties may share some level of responsibility for the accident.
Luckily, Texas operates under a modified comparative fault system. Unlike in contributory negligence states where any level of fault completely bars recovery, most plaintiffs who are partially at fault for a slip and fall accident in Texas still recover damages for their injuries.
Most plaintiffs who are partially at fault for a slip and fall accident in Texas still recover damages for their injuries.
Slip and Fall Attorney Near Me
If you are looking for a slip and fall attorney in the Dallas area, look no further than DFW Injury Lawyers, conveniently located at 1341 W. Mockingbird Ln., Dallas, TX 75247, situated near the intersection of W. Mockingbird Ln. and I-35E. Our law firm is just two miles from Dallas Love Field Airport and accessible via public transport, with several bus stops nearby.
When you visit our office, expect top-notch legal representation and compassionate support throughout the entirety of your case. Our slip and fall accident attorneys in Dallas are ready to help you seek the justice you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Dallas Slip and Fall Lawyer Today: All Consultations Are 100% Free
After a slip and fall accident caused by a negligent property owner, do not wait to take legal action.
At DFW Injury Lawyers, we have the experience, the knowledge of Dallas laws and court customs, the financial resources, and the muscle for any slip and fall accident claim. Our dedicated team of injury lawyers is well-versed in slip and fall accidents and has a successful track record of securing fair compensation for our clients.
Schedule your free legal consultation online or call 1-888-4-MUSCLE today!